Becoming detached from my phone and off-hours email access started well over two years ago. The list below represents the gradual progression to where I am today. (Notes in parenthesis are updates based on changes since the list was first written.)
- Disable all push notifications except Phone and Messages
- Remove native Mail app plus Gmail and Outlook apps (iOS 10 allows you to do this through Restrictions. It helps to have a friend/spouse create a restrictions code for you.)
- Install Moment App to see just how much time you spend on your phone each day. (iOS will now do this for you.)
- Remove Social Apps (I have since deleted all my social media accounts.)
- Disable Safari access via Restrictions
- Disable App Store access via Restrictions
- Remove all apps from first screen.
- Black and White screen via Accessibility options. Thanks Billie.
- Permanent Do-Not-Disturb mode; allowing phone calls and messages from a very short list of people to buzz my phone.
- Remain committed to redoing many of these as they creep back in over time.
Number 10 may be the most important item on the list. The creep back is real…
You should try it. I can help if you ask.